Eating clean on a busy schedule can be quite challenging for many people. I personally lead a daunting schedule most days, I’m writing this after a full day of work. If I can fit in good whole food meals during the day without blinking an eye I know I can teach you to do the same. These are some of my best practices for eating on a busy schedule.
1- Have Protein Bars On Hand
Protein plays a major role in repairing muscle tissue and keeps you satiated for a long time. Meaning you won’t be experiencing hunger pangs during the day through all the demands of your schedule. Protein bars are a fast snack to help fuel your body. Furthermore, they are easy to pack and very affordable. Be mindful of protein bars which contain high amounts of added sugars. Some of my favorite brands include Barbell, Perfect Bar, and Quest Bars.
2- Set Times For Your Meals
Setting specific times to eat allows you to create consistency with your eating habits. If you have a hard time remembering to eat and fuel your body then having set times for yourself- this simple trick will help you tremendously. Use your phones alarm system to set up reminders during the day. An example would be 9AM, 1PM and 6 PM.
3- Drink Water
Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. You will notice your focus is sharpened and you’ll feel much more awake during the day relying less on caffeine. Many people forget to drink water when they’re busy. The body is made up of water and the brain and other bodily functions rely on water. Have water on hand during all times of the day. Make water your best friend.
4- Keep Your Meals Prepared
Meal prep bags allow you to store multiple meals at once, highly recommend a brand called IsoPack. You may take your meals with you anywhere you go making it easy and convenient. All it takes is about 4 hours per week to prepare your meals. I suggest Sunday and Wednesday for meal prep. Prepare your lunch meals and dinner. Most people on a busy schedule skip breakfast all together and don’t eat until lunch time. If this is you, you have one less meal a day to worry about. If you’re someone who eats breakfast, you can easily make it first thing in the morning under a short amount of time.
5- Learn to Read Nutrition Labels
Learning how to read a nutrition label will allow you to make the right food choices anywhere you go. Some foods may cause an insulin spike which causes a crash later on during the day or others will simply flare up other food cravings. Being mindful of what you’re consuming starts with learning how to read a nutrition label properly. I always look at the fats, carbohydrates and proteins and well as sugar. If the food has plenty of protein, has moderate to low amounts of carbohydrates and is high to moderate fat- I’ll take it. I like foods and snacks that contain less than 10 grams of sugar. It all adds up at the end of the day and sugar content plays a major role in how your blood sugar responds. Mind your labels.
Being in the fitness industry for nearly 8 years you pick up on a thing or two. Looking back now (on the last few years) it’s hard for me to wrap my head around how long I have gone without these products in my life. They truly are life changing and can make your fitness journey a bit more pleasant. I’ll share them with you below. Note: they are not in any order.
First up is a portable drink mixer.
1. Portable Drink Mixer– Easily mix your greens, reds, protein powder with a handheld portable drink mixer. A portable drink mixer has a variety of different uses- to froth your milk, mix your bullet proof coffee, stir matcha or mix your pre workout or another powdered supplements. I have just recently added this one into my kitchen toolbox and it has been a game changer. No more extra spoons to wash after using this mixer. To clean, I run it through the water and place it right back in its case. It takes less than 10 seconds to mix any drink and it adds a bit of fun to the day.
2. Air Frier– Adding an air frier to your current cooking routine is a simple, fast and convenient way to make food without the use of oils that may be harmful to your health long term. Additionally, you’ll cut back on calories by changing to this way of cooking. There are hundreds of great recipes to choose from depending on what you’re in the mood for. The one I own is the one linked here to this post. It has other functionalities besides just frying which is great because using the microwave to reheat food isn’t the healthiest option either. This instant air frier does far beyond than just air frying foods- it bakes, reheats and roasts. If you don’t already own one- highly recommend!!
3. Knee Pad– A knee pad is perfect for practicing balance, supporting the knees during exercises such as a bird dog or glute kickback. Your positions on the mat become a lot more comfortable. I always highly recommend this to anyone who works out from their home! I have many of my clients using this product on a consistent basis during our in-home training sessions. If you have sensitive knees or wrists this is a must.
4. Shower Head Water Filter– I had multiple water tests done from my apartment in San Diego, CA. I thought I had good water coming out of my faucets, but I was highly mistaken. The tests proved that the water had heavy metals and other harmful chemicals in it. I learned the water is very hard and it impacts the skin and hair in a negative way. After installing this water filter, I have noticed a noticeable change in my hair and skin. I no longer need to spend time putting on lotion after each shower. I also took it a step further and installed a full alkaline system in my home which I will be writing a completely different blog post about because it’s THAT good!! I no longer need to waste money on water bottles. Anyway, the shower head filter has an 8-filter process that takes out dissolved minerals, heavy metals, chlorine and other contaminants. So good!!
5. Food Scale– A food scale will give you the complete measurements of the food you’re consuming which will allow you to stay on track with your health and fitness goals. Having a food scale will help you determine the proper serving sizes for your meals. Weighing food also encourages healthier eating habits and it doesn’t take up a lot of space to store away. I believe every household should have one.
I hope you find these products as useful as I have on your health and wellness journey. Please feel free to leave a message on the page as to your thoughts and if you have tried any of these health products for yourself. I’d love to hear from you!